Friday, August 6, 2010

From what I have learned in the last couple years I attribute back to the Endrocine system.
The major glands that make up the human endocrine system include the:

* hypothalamus
-The hypothalamus (pronounced: hi-po-tha-luh-mus), a collection of specialized cells that is located in the lower central part of the brain, is the main link between the endocrine and nervous systems. Nerve cells in the hypothalamus control the pituitary gland by producing chemicals that either stimulate or suppress hormone secretions from the pituitary.
* pituitary gland
-Although it is no bigger than a pea, the pituitary (pronounced: puh-too-uh-ter-ee) gland, located at the base of the brain just beneath the hypothalamus, is considered the most important part of the endocrine system. It's often called the "master gland" because it makes hormones that control several other endocrine glands.
* thyroid
-The thyroid (pronounced: thy-royd), located in the front part of the lower neck, is shaped like a bow tie or butterfly and produces the thyroid hormones thyroxine (pronounced: thy-rahk-sin) and triiodothyronine (pronounced: try-eye-oh-doe-thy-ruh-neen). These hormones control the rate at which cells burn fuels from food to produce energy.
* parathyroids
-Attached to the thyroid are four tiny glands that function together called the parathyroids (pronounced: par-uh-thy-roydz). They release parathyroid hormone, which regulates the level of calcium in the blood with the help of calcitonin (pronounced: kal-suh-toe-nin), which is produced in the thyroid.
* adrenal glands
-The body also has two triangular adrenal (pronounced: uh-dree-nul) glands, one on top of each kidney.
* pineal body
-The pineal (pronounced: pih-nee-ul) body, also called the pineal gland, is located in the middle of the brain. It secretes melatonin (pronounced: meh-luh-toe-nin), a hormone that may help regulate when you sleep at night and when you wake in the morning.
* reproductive glands (which include the ovaries and testes)


My theory is that some how out Hypothalamus and/or Pituitary gland has been compromised. For some people it could be a near death experience, for some it could be a Cerebral Fluid Complication, or something else that caused the Hypothalamus to be compromised.
I have another rare disease called Psuedo Tumor Cerbri which is a build up of fluid in the spinal cord and brain. How I was diagnosed was because I had a CT showing my Pituitary Gland being smaller then usual and being surrounded by some kind of fluid.

In my situation my Pituitary gland was comprimised first. This may have caused a chain reaction that finally left my hypothalamus comprimised and since it is the link between the endocrine and nervous systems it makes sense that when I got hurt my nervous system was in the right state to bloom into full blown RSD.

Needless to say I am no doctor but it makes sense to little old me that if they are connected they can spread different problems that if they go unnoticed can cause bigger problems.

I think where doctors need to study is our brains. Mainly how our hypothalamus works compared to an normal brain that hasn't been comprimised.

Doctors please help us. This pain is awful. We want a cure. We would love it as maybe a birthday or Christmas Present.

4 Comments:

  1. Healthnut25 said...
    Good theory. I'm a bachelor's student of health sciences, and it makes sense to me, too. That's one step closer to physician, but we still need one to hear this and confirm it. <:D Maybe they could help you individually somehow if they understood the connection....

    Do you take any medications or treatments for the tumor cerbri?

    Rachel Holtrop
    Unknown said...
    I have been telling drs to check my parathyroid b cuz I felt there was a connection. Part was cuz dr said I had hyperthyroidism and then hypo. Different health problems. Drs thought I had ra lupus, but then said no. then diag with rsd. No one would check my parathyroid or discuss it. What kind of dr does that? I live in killen,al. Good luck
    Sue said...
    WOW...found the RSD support published your blog. I am 42 with RSD for 4 years in the left lower leg\foot area. About 6 years ago I had what they thought was a diabetic shock (not overweight). After a CAT scan, they found I have a sack of fluid around my pituitary glad. They said no worries, likely born this way. Since then I get 2-3 real bad headaches a year. I have never herd of anyone with this.
    RSD docotors have two thoughts. Some with say "yes brain, sensory system". Others say, no local nerve damage from the injury that started the RSD. I have been working with a Dr.Dellon in Baltimore. Local blocks in the painful touch area to stimulate were he removes the nerves that damaged.
    I never had success with medication, spinal blocks, etc....
    You have anyone else supporting your thoughts? Any docotrs to take it on?
    Keep me updated!
    Reformed Anon. Girl in Pain said...
    There is a very likely connection with pain and the endocrine system. My pituitary doesn't work and I've had chronic pain my whole life. Many pituitary patients also have chronic pain but no one seems willing to look into it further! It's very frustrating! If they understood it better than maybe they could find more useful treatments.

Post a Comment